Tonight, we are having a “Scrubs Musical” party for my birthday. For those of you who haven’t watched Scrubs before, do it – do it now. NO – first read this posting, then watch it – you will thank me! The musical is season 6, episode 6, on netflix.
Yesterday and this morning however, I have been spending time doing a few things I really enjoy: writing and card creating! You only turn 21 once.
Though that happened 14 years ago for me, I figured I’d share my latest concoctions online. I really enjoy the positive feedback, so why not post on my birthday?
Everyone knows Canseco’s first Topps card ever made. On one of my previous threads, I had taken a picture of the various versions I had of it in my collection (though, I accidentally left out a few.)
The superfractor is something I came up with, of course. A while back, I remember someone doing an Allen & Ginter card using the same picture. I don’t believe it was ever “produced” by anyone, so I figured why not? I just did my mustachioed version of an A&G card.
I sprinkled some magic custom dust and whammo!
The Canseco version. I really love it.
Then, I thought to myself – “Self! What could I do better?”
After twirling my mustache a bit, I thought … why not do the world’s first mustache transplant? Maaahhhvelous!
Canseco with a boss mustache – I don’t think life gets any better than this.
Then I remembered the game used bat I had just cut up….
Okay … maybe I didn’t “just” think about it. Maybe I had pre-cut some slices to certain dimensions for something crazy.
Is it possible that I had pre-meditated something so insane…so dastardly, that my collection would never be the same?
After sanding the trapezoid to a rectangle, I wanted to give something a try.
If you haven’t guessed yet, I’m talking about a game used bat card.
NO NO NO NO NO. Not a baseball card with a piece of a game used bat embedded in it. I’m talking about a a baseball card that is actually MADE out of a piece of the game used bat.
This took a long, long time folks. The learning curve was something. The trips back and forth to various shops was sizable … almost as big as the blister on my thumb from having to re-do the dang thing three times.
Part of this requires transferring the art to the wood after about 8 hours of drying. Now, is the moment of truth …
Gently rubbing it all off ….
The final product!
And of course, the back.
So there you have it – my first REAL game used bat card. I figured I’d leave the ‘stache to the regular version. I hope to get it signed of course, at some point, and will likely make my own custom frame similar to what A&G & Gypsy Queen do. I really wish that they would make the wood cards out of game used bat pieces at some point down the road. I think those pieces would mean a lot more to collectors.
As always, thanks everyone for reading, and for your positive comments – they make my birthday that much better. However, if you REALLY wanted me to have a good birthday, please note that I do accept visa and mastercard.