I run into people all the time who are coming back to the hobby, be it for themselves or for their children. I thought it would be fun to put together a list, so feel free to add to it!
You know you are a collector from the 80’s & 90’s when…
- You carefully inspect each corner of a 25 cent card before buying … with a magnifying glass.
- Your retirement plan consists of a closet hoard of 1988 Donruss complete sets, and a nice stash of guys like Mo Vaughn & Albert Belle
- You still refer to Todd Van Poppel & Shawn Green as hot prospects.
- The card you always wished you had was a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco rated rookie
- You think your ’85 Topps McGwire is worth $200.
- You have an impressive run of Becketts from 1986 to 1996
- That Kid Griffey sure is something, isn’t he?
- Your go-to haggling argument always starts with “but the book value is…”
- Super collecting a player means you have over 100 of his base cards and one, MAYBE two of his autographs
- The cards of Phil Plantier, Mike Greenwell, Tino Martinez, Kevin Mitchell, etc. that are in holders are worth less than the holders they are in.
- You got angry when Score entered the picture, because it made collecting complicated. Topps Fleer and Donruss are enough!