Hi there! I am tanmanbaseballfan. Married for over 10 years, have two kids, and have a serious addiction to carboard crack!
Last year, my ears perked up when I first heard about blowout and some other places doing a black Friday sale. Instantly, I knew it would become a tradition for as long as they would do it. With breakfast at my desk, I was ready at 4:45 am to get ready and make some purchases. After a while, I just knew that I wasn’t going to get anything, because the ebay buy-it-now’s would stay on for *maybe* 3 seconds. Later, I eventually scored some good stuff, and went over to another site – wow, I was star struck. All kinds of cheapo blaster boxes! I got tons, and tons, and tons of stuff! Probably about too much money was spent on the stuff. I was a sucker for the cheap 09 Football Heroes blasters and 08 UD First Edition football just because of price … surely I could flip those easily!
Welllll….it proved a little more difficult. With some luck and hard work, I ended up busting a bunch, selling a bunch, and turning a profit over the course of 6+ months.
Now, here I am again – thought I learned my lesson, but the force was too great. Listed below are my purchases and justifications for all of them … why? Well…because it will make me feel better, that’s why! let’s see how we fared:
– Scored a 2008 SPA Baseball box. This was at the tail end of the day, and, would you believe it – the only real “black friday” sale purchase! I’m busting this puppy.
– Found the last cheap 24 pack retail box of 2008 Baseball Heroes for $20. It was selling on the bay for $35, so I figured what the heck – I love this set. I only wish I could have gotten more.
– 06 Future Stars Hobby Case (2 cases) – I admit, when I saw this, I did a double take. Not many have sold online, but they are always listed in the $45-$85 range, so I grabbed a few cases with the hopes of busting some and selling to others at a great price for them. With 5 autos a box, and a killer rookie lineup, this was a fairly easy buy.
– 07 Future Stars Hobby Case (3 cases) – This is much like the 06 for me – only more desirable. 5 autos a box, killer rookie lineup, has a high sales tag online and I was able to wipe out the seller of these at a price where I could open some and sell some cheap.
– 07 SP Rookie Edition Case – There are 18 boxes, and I absolutely love this set. It has a few autos each box, plus loads of rookies! I was averaging pulling 3-5 Lincy rookies a box. I’ll open some and sell some here too.
– 08 Masterpieces Retail Case – This came with 20 boxes that have 24 packs a box. I was on the fence with this here, but ended up pulling the trigger and I’m glad I did.. It is such a pretty card, and I have fond memories of busting this myself. This should not be hard at all to re-sell if needed!
– 10 Upper Deck Retail Case – At 20 boxes with 24 packs per box, this is one of those deals that you get a jersey/auto per box, plus plenty of chances to score a Posey rookie and other cool cards like the 2010 Upper Deck “Double-Takes” – their variation short prints.
– 3 boxes of 09 SPA – this was just for me. No selling unopened here.
When they start coming in, stay tuned! I will be busting some on Youtube and will post the videos in the link to the right of this post!